What a year for the 11th annual Fungus Among Us Mushroom Festival! It’s been a phenomenal year for fungi and we had a fantastic capacity crowd that came to celebrate with us. At first count the scientists identified almost 200 species, of which 20-30 are new records for Whistler. There were lots of big grins as people came back from the Saturday mushroom walks, tasted their way through the delicious cooking show, and were then awed by the huge variety of mushrooms on the display table.
The Whistler Naturalists would like to thank all those who made the annual event possible:
- the Community Foundation of Whistler as our main sponsor;
- The Toadstool Troupe for their highly entertaining performance;
- Bryce Kendrick for his fantastic talk and photos on “Fungi: Now you seem them, now you don’t”;
- the 16 fabulous mushroom gurus for leading the walks on Saturday and for the fungus display;
- Alta Bistro’s Edward Dangerfield and his crew for presenting the hugely popular cooking with mushrooms demonstration and tasting;
- Nesters Market for donating supplies for the tasting and raffle prizes;
- Kevin Trim for donating his fungus sculptures for our fundraising raffle;
- the great group of volunteers who helped out; and
- all the folks that came out to share their enthusiasm and wonder for all things fungal
See you next year!
THE WHISTLER NATURALISTS PRESENT
Fungus Among Us
OCTOBER 18-19, 2013
Myrtle Philip Community School
6195 Lorimer Road
TALKS BY GURUS! (Friday Night)
Bryce Kendrick, “Fungi: Now you see them, now you don’t”
Special performance by The Toadstool Troupe
Friday 7:30pm, Myrtle Philip School ($8/$10)
WALKS WITH GURUS! (Saturday Morning)
Andy MacKinnon • Anne Leatham • Brian Didier • Brooke Fochuk
Bryce Kendrick • Danny Miller• Daryl Thompson • Dayton Page
James Holkko • Juliet Pendray • Kem Luther • Kevin Trim
Leanne Gallon • Ludovic LeRenard • Luke Mikler
Paul Kroeger • Silvia Bergensen • Terry McIntosh • Thom O’Dell
Sat. 8:30-noon, meet at Myrtle Philip School ($10/$15)
TASTES! (Saturday 12:30 pm)
Wild mushrooms, yum! Taste your way through our savory cooking show with Alta Bistro’s Edward Dangerfield.
Sat. 12:30 – 2 pm, Myrtle Philip School ($20/$25)
MUSHROOM DISPLAY! (Saturday Afternoon)
Check out all the day’s finds, labelled and explained by our fantastic fungal folk. Plus a special display of mushroom-dyed wool with Silvia Bergensen.
Sat. 2:30-4:00pm, Myrtle Philip School (free)
More info: Get the lower price with your $20 Naturalists membership. Under-18s free. Cash or cheque only please. Questions? email@example.com.
Here are some photos from 2011 taken by Bob Brett.
View the collection of NatureSpeak articles on fungus by clicking here.